SoloQ Champ Priority

It would be nice to be able to give my players champion priority per role, instead of having them instalock the selected champs irrespective of roles. I want my players to both play soloq freely (not instalock stuff off-role) but also train on specific champions to match my strategies when they are playing an appropriate role for the pick.

I'm still in my first full week of playing so i'm sure this has potentially been brought up before. If the current champion priority design is intentional, what is the rationale behind it?
This is meant as some kind of trade-off.
You either go for a higher chance of winning SoloQ or to grind your champion mastery.

As you go on, you will notice, that there are more minor limitations, that forces you to decide. Youth Academy for example.
I wondered if this was the case, although i'm not sure it is a trade-off that really resolves an issue. Would giving players both (sticking to role assigned, training specific champs in each role) cause any issues in the long term that i'm not seeing?

This one just seems like a slightly illogical limitation/trade-off to me since I would have said that SoloQ Elo and champion mastery are two things that go hand in hand, not two things you should have to pick between.
It's not to resolve an issue, but to create one.
The problem for me on this is that both decisions feel crappy. The theory behind the game is that i'm setting up a professional MOBA team, but here I have to pick between my "professional" players either trolling and likely losing in SoloQ when they are off-role or not training on the champions that they play in the competetive environments. To me the issue this creates feels like one of frustration rather than a meaningful decision.

As a side question, does champion mastery as a metric actually exist? I could be looking in the wrong places but I can't see an indication of it anywhere. Due to this i've been allowing my team to SoloQ freely at the moment, as I can see their Elo visibly progress, although this comes with the frustration of them playing different champions in SoloQ than they do in competetive games.
I agree. The fact that champion mastery is not visible anywhere makes the decision to focus specific champions seem useless.
There are rumors players perform better on champs with 25-30+ games ;)