Mechanics Behind League Placement

I'm curious about how which teams are placed in which league is determined. I'm looking at Division 3 in particular, and I see a lot of weird discrepancies.

The average ELO is a big one, as League #2 as an alarmingly high average ELO compared to the rest. Compared to #15, they are 163 ELO higher. I get that #15 has a really low outlier, but it also has one of the lowest top ELO players for Div 3.

And due to the nature of this game, the most important thing is to be first place when you are Div 3. Because of this, a high average ELO can be preferable if it means drawing a lot more 2000 ELO players than 2200+ players. I'd rather be in a league full of 9 2100 players than just 2 2300+ players. My weird evidence for the case here is the amount of teams above 2200 in each league.
Divisions with 1 2200+: 3
Divisions with 2 2200+: 6
Divisions with 3 2200+: 6
Divisions with 4 2200+: 1

There is also something a little weird about WHICH divisions have the most 2200+. Of the 16 divisions, here are the ones with 3 2200+: 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. The division with 4 2200+? You guessed it. 16.

Just looking to get some of the mechanics behind the game explained. Or maybe I'm just looking to shed some salt since I'm in the division with 4 2200+, and would be the group leader in a few other groups.
I would actually say, the average elo of divisions is

Div 1: 2700
Div 2: 2400
Div 1: 2100

The chances of being automatically placed above division 3 is very very small, this is due to the number of active players. I consider division 3 is where the real competition starts and because of the pro tournament it can be rather profitable. Division 2 is quite tough for any team that isn't well established already just to stay it. There are usually 1 or 2 strong division 1 candidates in every division 2.
My confusion isn't as to which division a team is placed in, but rather which league within a division.
It's random I think, doesn't matter what league within the division.
Ah there is some formula to it, however it's dependant on your position last season, then there is a randomisation which switches leagues for players every season so you don't end up stuck in the same league. First few leagues do tend to be stacked but this is usually due to there being 3 or 4 really outstsnding players (compared to the rest of the league) who get placed here due to their previous position.
It says solved but it doesn't feel solved. :[

The fact that leagues 11-16 are more top-heavy is just a bit too much of a coincidence.
I put solved because the method we put you into Leagues are currently not shared and I am not sure if we want to share it.
Promotions and demotions happen according to your position.
1st position always gets promoted.
All the 2nd positions are ordered by ELO and all the empty gaps in upper division from inactive teams will be filled by those.
After we know all the teams that will be in each league, the teams will be ordered and placed by ELO.
If there is for example 4 leagues in a divison then the placing algorithm comes from 1st to 4th and goes back from 4th to 1st and so on.
So the teams would be placed by ELO as such:
#1 #2 #3 #4 #4 #3 #2 #1 #1 #2 #3 #4....
That still makes the discrepancy between the 1-2200+ league and the 4 2200+ league a little odd, but mostly answered. Thanks for the response.
It's possible that weird things happened with the players behind the teams, they could've been tanking elo or had a lucky winning streak and but once their stats and such normalized, we get to the current situation.

Especially since the season ended and the new GE came out, things are incredibly fucked up atm, some people not being able to update strats and such and lost a lot of elo, people who were quicker to the draw gaining a lot of elo and such.

I wouldn't worry too much about it honestly, most Div 3s that promote to Div 2 honestly get demoted and if you can't win your Div 3, you'd be SOL in Div 2. :/

The algorithm is a lot fairer now actually, @Ed can tell you the days of Div 2#1 being more stacked than Div 1 xD